Saturday, April 11, 2009

Apartment Zero (1989)





Director: Martin Donovan
Writers: Martin Donovan, David Koepp (Toy Soldiers, Stir of Echoes, Secret Window)
Actors: Colin Firth, Hart Bochner

Rating: 3 Black Sheep

I had never seen this movie before but had been meaning to get a hold of it for years. The other day I was waiting for a friend in Union Square in New York City and I saw somebody hawking DVDs at a little table, three for five bucks. This little gem happened to be hidden amongst a plethora of shit and I immediately snatched it up. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It's a great psychological thriller/drama with a pinch of comedy that showcases some really rich characters.

I've never really felt one way or the other about Colin Firth but he really blew me away in this one. Firth plays a cinema-obsessed man by the name of Adrien DeLuc who owns a theater and cherishes his privacy (possibly to hide from others the madness that is growing inside him). When his theater fails to make much revenue, DeLuc decides he's going to have to take on a boarder in his spare room. When you see how he interacts with his neighbors, you'll understand why this prospect causes him much anxiety. After interviewing a few people, however, he finds Jack (Bochner), an American who looks like he could have just stepped off a Hollywood screen with his James Dean ways. DeLuc has finally found someone he actually wants to be around and Jack seems to have this effect on everyone, charming men and women alike. His charm turns out to be a mask for something much darker which perhaps only adds to his draw for DeLuc.

The film is set in Buenos Aires and has an interesting balance of sweetness, anxiety, and sadness when you really take the time to think about what is really happening within each of the characters, from each of the apartment tenants to DeLuc and Jack themselves. Ultimately, for me this film is about a journey into madness and a last attempt to truly connect with the outside world that instead results in a full-throttle leap over the edge (metaphorically that is, I'm not revealing any spoilers, I promise).

Check it out, it's definitely a solid piece and I have a feeling that subsequent viewings will reveal even more enjoyment and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment